Vegan Mexican Burritos
I hope this recipe inspires you to get create in the kitchen, burritos can have pretty much ANYTHING in them and they are PERFECT for meal prep. Bulk prep and freeze any leftovers.
vise versa, Chuck what’s in your fridge in the burrito. I swear Jake and I lived off burritos when I first opened Balance Me because they are so efficient yet nourishing.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 can black beans
200grams of firm organic tofu
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup brown rice
1 can diced tomato
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp Moroccan
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili flakes (this can be increased for desired taste)
salt + pepper
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 red onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 handfuls of spinach
1/4 cup Jalapenos
4 Burrito wraps
1) Finely dice the garlic and place it in a large pot with 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
2) Rinse the brown rice and add it to the pot with the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 tsp Moroccan and Cajun but only 1/2 tsp of paprika and chilli flakes, stir to combine. Refill the tomato can with water and pour that in.
3) Adjust the temperature so the rice is simmering not boiling. Let cook for 30 minutes, once all the water is absorbed, taste to check that the rice is cooked , you may need to add another ¼ - ½ cup of water.
4) While the rice is cooking prepare the black beans and tofu. Heat a pan with 1 tsp of olive oil and crumble in the tofu, place in the left over spices and stir to combine. Open the can of black beans and rinse them under running water. Add these to your tofu mix. Reduce to a low heat.
5) Dice up the tomato, red onion, and jalapenos and place into a bowl with your corn kernels. Sprinkle over salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir to combine
6) Once the rice has absorbed all of the water and it is cooked, remove from the heat and cover with a lid for a further 10 minutes.
7) Bring all of your ingredients together into the wrap. Place a 1/4 cup of rice mix as your base, then spinach, then the tofu and bean mix, and finally the salsa. Roll up and eat fresh or place into your toastie machine to have a full burrito experience.
These ingredients last in the fridge for 5 days.
For gluten free use gluten free wraps.
These are awesome meal prepped for lunch or take away the burrito and make burrito bowls.