Ingredients: (Serves 4)
¼- ½ cup miso
¼ cup of soy sauce or tamari
2 cloves of garlic
1 litre of water
300 grams of firm tofu
6 shitake mushroom
1 bunch of greens- silver beet, kale, Bok Choy
2 spring onions
1 cup bean sprouts
1 pack of Hokkien, udon, or rice noodles
Chili flakes (to taste)
1) Prepare a large pot with 1 litre of water and bring it to a boil. This should only fill the pot ¾ as you are going to add more ingredients.
2) Roughly chop the garlic, mushrooms, and greens. Peel and julienne the carrots.
3) Once the water is boiling, add the tamari, mushrooms, greens, and carrots to the pot and stir.
3a) There is an option to grill or pan fry the mushrooms, greens, and carrots before adding them to the pot.
4) Cut the tofu into 1.5cm x 1.5 cm cubes and add it to the hot pot once the vegetables have been in for 5 minutes. If you are adding the noodles this is the time to add them.
5) Add the miso, straining the miso through a sieve to disperse the flavours. Taste the broth and add more miso to your desired taste.
6) Serve the hot pot into bowls and sprinkle over the spring onions, bean sprouts, and optional chili flakes.
This is best eaten fresh.
If you are gluten free you can use rice noodles.