Crispy Tofu Satay Lettuce Cups (Vegan, DF, GF)
The perfect grab and go with another amazing buffet option. That’s what summer meals are all about! Fresh fun and delicious. Get everyone involved and see what flavour or veggie combinations come about.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
3 tbsp corn flour or tapioca starch
1 tsp Cajun
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp sesame oil
1 head of iceberg or cos lettuce (Taco shape)
1 red capsicum
1/4 red cabbage
1 Spring onion
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
1 tsp Chili flakes
Peanuts for sprinkling
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1) Drain tofu and cut into 1cm x 1cm cubes. Pat dry and place into the tapioca starch or cornflour and Cajun.
2) Combine and whisk all of the sauce ingredients together.
3) Heat the sesame oil in a pan and fry the tofu.
4) While the tofu is cooking, thinly slice, the red pepper, cabbage, carrot, and green onion. I like to use a julienne peeler for my carrots.
5) Once the tofu has ‘sealed’ pour over the 1 tbsp of tamari and let simmer.
6) Begin to construct your lettuce cups by placing a little bit of each prepared ingredient into each cup.
7) Sprinkle over the sesame and chili flakes, drizzle over the satay sauce, and finished off with a dash of lemon. YUM
To make it kid friendly you can add taco shells.
To bulk out the meal add vermicelli rice noodles or rice.
This recipe is great for the whole family to get involved with constructing their meals and trying new foods.