Perfect kid friendly dinner with left overs for lunches! Nourishing and time saving!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
250 grams of Penne Pulse pasta * SEE NOTE
1 broccoli stem
2 tbsp vegan butter, margarine, or olive oil
2 tbsp tapioca starch
2 cups plant milk (higher the fat the better) **
2 cloves of garlic
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
Pinch of salt + pepper
¼ cup breadcrumbs
3 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1) Fill a pot with water and set to a boil.
2) Grate carrot and broccoli stem, and crush garlic.
3) Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add pasta. Stir and cook until al dente (4-6 minutes)
4) In a lidded container combine the tapioca starch and 1/2 cup of plant milk. Place the lid on top and shake to remove any lumps.
5) In a saucepan, sauté the garlic in the oil of your choice until fragrant. Add the remaining ingredients into the pot and continuously whisk for 3 minutes until the starch starts to bind. Continue to stir letting the sauce simmer for 2 minutes. Add in the grated carrot and broccoli stem and stir.
7) Drain the pasta and add it to the cheese sauce in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, and ground flax seeds and place in the oven set at fan grill 180° for 5 minutes.
This is great for school lunches, quick dinners, and a day where kids help in the kitchen. It can last in the fridge for 5 days.
* We like to use San Remo Green Pea Pulse Pasta or Explore Organic Red Lentil Penne
** I will be using Cashew milk as I find it has minimal taste.