Ingredients: (6 scones)
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp cayenne
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
hand full parsley
hand full basil
1 small onion
½ cup spinach
½ cup grated vegan cheese
3 tbsp coconut oil (room temperature)
¼ cup olive oil
3/4 c plant milk soy, oat, coconut, or almond milk
Milk wash to coat: ¼ cup milk + 1tbsp nutritional yeast
1) Preheat oven on fan bake to 175° degrees Celsius.
2) Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and nutritional yeast together.
3) Roughly dice the capsicum, parsley, basil, onion, and spinach and add this to the dry mixture.
4) Add the room temperature coconut oil and olive oil to the flour mixture and use two knives to create big “breadcrumbs”. Do not over mix the mixture as it will become tough.
5) Add the cheese to the mixture and roughly mix through.
6) Pour the soy milk into the mixture and use the same two knives to combine it into a dough (It will be sticky but should form one dough). Once again do not over work the mixture.
7) Place the mixture on a lined baking tray and separate the dough into 6 dough balls. They can be as pretty or as messy as you like. Brush the scones with the milk wash.
8) Place the scones in the middle of the oven for 18 minutes then rotate the pan and them place them back in the oven for another two minutes.
You can use any vegan cheese you like or you can remove the vegan cheese from the recipe. These are best eaten fresh but can be stored in an airtight container for 4 days.