As New Zealanders we all LOVE Fish and chips, I mean its so nostalgic to me that its the only non- plant food I CRAVE. So obviously I had to recreate it in vegan form.
This recipe may not be our most plant diverse but it is Gluten and Dairy Free!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
400 grams tofu
2 sheets of seaweed
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
pinch salt + pepper
1 tsp paprika
½ cup soy milk
¼ - ½ cup flour (brown rice or chickpea is great if gluten-free)
1 tbsp cornflour or tapioca starch
1 tsp rosemary
½ cup oil
¼ red cabbage
¼ white cabbage
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup Pumpkin seeds
¼ cup flaxseed oil
½ tsp paprika
Salt + pepper
1) Slice the tofu into 4 blocks, pat dry, and place in the freezer overnight.
2) Pull the tofu out 3 hours before you would like to cook it.
3) Preheat the oven to fan bake at 200° Celsius.
4) Combine apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon juice from one lemon (2 tbsp) in a container and shake well. Score the tofu diagonally across to allow the marinade to seep into the tofu. Do not cut too deep otherwise, the tofu will fall apart.
5) Place the scored tofu into the marinade and flip the container every 5 minutes.
6) Slice the potato and kumara into wedges or chips. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Place the chips onto an oven tray and cook until brown (20-25 minutes).
7) Combine soy milk, ¼ cup of flour, cornflour, ½ lemon juice (1 tbsp), salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk to make the batter (if the batter is runny add more flour)
8) Place ½ cup oil in a shallow pan and set to medium heat.
9) Cut the seaweed sheets to the size of your tofu. Bring the tofu out of the marinade and place one sheet on each side. It will stick because the tofu is wet. Coat the tofu with the batter and place on a metal spatula to drop into the oil. Be very careful around hot oil. Repeat this process for all 4 pieces of tofu.
10) While the tofish is cooking thinly slice the cabbage, peel and use a julienne peeler for the carrots and combine with the seeds, seasoning, and oil. Use your hands to bind all of the ingredients together.
11) Flip the tofish after 4 minutes, cook for another 2 minutes, then rest on a paper towel.
11) Prepare to serve everything together, pull the chips out of the oven, and place on your plate with your tofish, coleslaw, and a slice of lemon.
For an oil-free option, this also cooks incredibly in an air fryer