Salad Bowls are the number 1 way to increase diversity and experimental trying with food! Create all the elements and serve as Mexican Buffet dinner. You’ll be surprised what ‘picky eaters’ begin to eat with repeated exposure.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 cup quinoa
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cups/tins of black beans *
1 cup of corn kernels
1 green capsicum
1/2 red onion
1 tsp cumin
Salt + Pepper
100 grams of baby leaf lettuce
Parsley to garnish
1 lemon or lime
1/4 cup jalapenos
1) Prepare the quinoa by rinsing it under running cold water. Place it in a pot with the diced tomatoes, cumin, and 1 can of water. Bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer.
2) Rinse and drain the black beans and set aside.
3) Thaw the corn and dice the tomatoes, avocado, capsicum, and onion.
4) Prepare four bowls with lettuce bases. Either mix everything together and place in a bowl or place 1/3 - 1/2 cup of the quinoa mix into the centre of the bowl. Add the sliced vegetables and beans around the quinoa.
5) Garnish with parsley, lemon, and jalapenos.
* If you are using dried black beans remember to soak them the night before!
This is great to have in a wrap or serve with corn chips.